Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Skip It: The Changeling


It's true I went into this film skeptical. I already knew how the true story it was based on ended, and wasn't too interesting in investing over two hours into it. 

I must say though, that the period elements of this film, such as costumes and sets were lovely and on the mark. Sadly, setting is not everything. While John Malkovich, as a radio preacher helping Christine(Jolie), is solid in his supporting role, I found most of the acting over the top, especially from Angelina Jolie. She spends most of the movie crying hysterically, screaming, or being severely stoic to pinpoint the absence of hysterical crying. I found none of these emotions particularly effective, and more bluntly, pretty damn irritating.  

She wasn't the only actor who fell flat though. Michael Kelly, as one of the film's de facto bad guys, plays the worst Irish cop stereotype I have witnessed since childhood Bugs Bunny cartoons. We are also never given a peek behind his cruelty to find out what his motive are for the endless tortures he inflicts on Jolie's Christine.  

While there were redeeming elements to the film that I wish they had focused on more, such as the politics behind this case and the systemic corruption of the LA police force, I guess that would have been another movie all together. A more interesting, less sentimental, and less emotionally manipulative movie. "I WANT MY SON BACK!" Yes, I know, we get it.

No comments: