Monday, September 22, 2008

Good Television Prevails!


Sunday night was a great night for some of my favorite shows. The Emmys themselves were generally boring, though made better by deserving wins, a few good laughs, and some good political digs. Heather Havrilesky has a more in depth and much more sufficiently snarky take on the awards here.

I'm most excited about the wins for 30 Rock, the funniest show on television that no one watches. Hopefully, again, this win will help boost their ratings so they're not worried about cancellation after multiple Emmy wins.  I was so happy to see Tina Fey up there, all pretty and de-glassesafied, humbly accepting her reward for being so brilliant. I can't wait for the season premiere, too bad it's not on til October 30th! Blerg.

I was also glad to see The Colbert Report win for writing, and I can't wait to see Stephen's take on his win on Tuesday night. He did lose Best Variety Show to Don Rickles, which wasn't a big surprised. He has lost in that category to Barry Manilow, Tony Bennet, and now Rickles. I'm sure he'll have something to say about that too.

Best Drama winner was Mad Men! I love this show, and I was surprised to see the academy, which usually picks a boat load of crap with a sprinkling of goodness, actually notice this show at all. I guess the buzz has been pretty big about it since it started, and deservedly so. Mad Men is like a trip back in time wearing Milena colored glasses, everything is accurate but distorted by your own modern sensibilities. My hope is that this win ushers in a new wave of intelligent, richly designed shows. Hey, a girl can dream can't she?

No comments: