Friday, September 19, 2008

Don't Panic


I find this story baffling and don't really know how I feel about it yet. I am a huge fan of Douglas Adams and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books. I would even go so far as to call Douglas Adams my favorite Author. He's witty and logical in a way that I have never seen duplicated. That's why I couldn't believe it when I read that children's author Eoin Colfer will be penning a new Hitchhikers Guide book. When Douglas Adams died a the early age of 49, I was sure that was the end of not just that series, but the many creative endeavors that he was so well known for. 

Although I am not entirely sure of my feelings about this project, I can tell you that I don't think that pleased is one of the feeling I am currently having. Maybe that has something to with the only quote by this new author included in the article. "For years I have been finishing this incredible story in my head and now I have the opportunity to do it in the real world," he said in a statement. "It is a gift from the gods. So, thank you Thor and Odin."  While this is mildly amusing, it would be the sort of line that Douglas Adams would just toss off on the way to a much more entertaining and original thought. I have a feeling this guy thought about that statement for a bit and decided it was clever. Eh.

I will give Colfer chance, but Douglas Adams resides in a place so close to my heart that this guy's got his work cut out for him if he wants to make a fan.

No comments: